Monday, November 30, 2009

Giving Thanks

I took last week off of work for the Thanksgiving holiday, to prepare the house our guests (family) and spend time with my wife and kids. It turned out to be a great week. April made a huge Thanksgiving feast in which she cooked a 24lb turkey and all the trimmings. We had 14 people in our house for the occasion and had a blast. One of the things April did was design a game for us in which all the things we were happy for were written on construction paper turkey feathers and taped to a big fat turkey picture on the wall. After we all ate dinner, the children took turns plucking feathers from the turkey and reading someone’s thing that they were grateful for. Then, we all had to guess whose item it was. It was extremely entertaining! It got me thinking about all the things that I was eternally grateful for.
First and foremost, I am grateful for Christ’s unconditional love and atoning sacrifice for me. I know that it is through him and by keeping his commandments that we shall return to live with our Heavenly father some day. I know that, by abiding by the precepts within the gospel, I will stay free from all the things in the world that ensnare the hearts of men and keep them from true happiness.
Second only to the Lord, is my appreciation for my wife, April. I would not be the man I am today had it not been for her patience and persistence when it came to me. As cliché as it sounds, she is what makes me want to be a better man…..cuz if I don’t, shell make my life hell…ha-ha just kidding. She has helped me understand and realize my potential and has always held me to a higher standard than I was at, at any given time. For that, I am eternally indebted to her. I love her un conditionally.
My children are a huuuuuge source of happiness for me. Although they can be a handful at times, their happiness and successes in life bring me great joy.
I love the friends that I’ve made throughout my life, which I am still in contact with. The memories that I have of them are cause for laughter and celebration.
I am also grateful for a steady job and a warm home to reside in. The two are very important to my family’s survival. The quality of which, is very important to my happiness.
Lastly, I am grateful for music and the inspiration I draw from the lyrics and harmonies within.
These are the things I am grateful for in my life at the young age of 32. I wonder how much they will change throughout the next year. We shall see.

No comments: