Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How firm a foundation

For the last eight years, I have had front row seats at the changing of my life, in which, my existence has progressively shifted from a "me" centered life to a life in which I am forever in the service of my family.
My children, in particular, are by far the most important thing in my life. They have been the reason for personal refinement (refinement being a relative term). My children have helped me regain focus on the gospel and it's precepts. Recently, I read a Book of Mormon passage within the the book of Jacob that left a pretty strong impression on my heart. The verse spoke of the importance of rearing our children in truth and instilling in them the foundational doctrine that will help form their little testimonies in their early years. One can imagine the shear panic that set in as I started over analyzing the efforts April and I had been making towards enlightening the kids.
Before April started working a night job, we were having family home evening on a weekly basis. My wife is a great example to me. She was very vigilant in her efforts. We pray with the kids every night. ya know, all the little things that we are told are so easy to do, yet so hard to maintain. We do those things. Since April started working, I feel like I may have been dropping the ball so to speak. Up until a few days ago, I couldn't shake this feeling of "What else could I be doing for them?" So I increased my scripture study and prayed an added measure of desire and drive in this area. Some divine inspiration wouldn't hurt either. As the night wound down this evening, Joe Joe asked if we could read some scriptures before they hit the hay. That was one of those moments where you just stare and marvel at the blessings who are your children. He actually seemed excited. Upon opening the scriptures, I just so happened to turn directly to the Articles of Faith page located at the end of the Pearl of Great Price. At that exact moment, it hit me right between the eyes....I resigned to memorize the articles of faith with the children. It is something I never did as a child and saw it as an awesome opportunity to grow closer to my children while guided them to the Lord's presence. Perfect. And so it begins. The children and I memorized the first article of faith and Joe Joe & I have the second one memorized. I gotta tell ya, As I got the children ready for bed, I felt a closeness to them that was absolutely indescribable.
I am so proud of the little people that my kids have become. They are sincere and quick witted. They are loving and understanding. Most of all, they are so very unconditional with their love for their parents.
I thank the Lord on a daily basis for my wife and kids and pray that they will remain this close throughout our lives together here on earth and into the eternities. I strive towards effectively relaying my love to them daily. I hope I am successful in that.

-----Joe-----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel the same way. When I am closer to the Lord and doing what I am supposed to do, then it happens my kids are better, we are happier....
What have you all benn up to? Send me an email rishels@gmail.com. April went to work? How is the new job? I think about you guys all the time. I miss you guys so much! Lots of changes are in store for us over the next few months. HOw is Virginia? How are the kids?

Jewell said...

Joseph:

We are so very proud of you and the wonderful man that you are.
We are overwhelmed with gratitude that you are ours!!!

We were truly blessed when you came to us. You taught us what true happiness is, and what it means to love unconditionally. You made us a family!

And now you and April have a wonderful family of your own :) And you are both such wonderful parents! Enjoy every moment that you share with your babies. Before you know it they will be grown with little ones of their own and you will look back with a longing heart, wishing you could step back in time and relive your precious time together. Hold onto every memory. Treasure each one always.

Your family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ are the most important gifts in your life. It is our prayer that you will always hold them close to your heart.

This blog is a wonderful way to journal your thoughts and feelings. We look forward to reading about your life, your dreams and aspirations, the adventures you share with your children, the challenges you face, your successes and your heartaches. Savor every moment of your life, Son... even the difficult ones. For it is in the difficult times that you will draw closer to our Father in Heaven and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

We love you, Joseph! Thank you for being such a great example to those around you! You are one of a kind!!!

We love you to the moon and back. We always have, we always will... for time and all eternity,

Mom and Dad