Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Tribute


I was speaking to my little brother Justin this evening about our country and the fact that we are a stalwart union comprised of the most god fearing patriots who would not hesitate to stand for truth and right with rifle in hand against even the most insurmountable of foes. that being said, I realized that I'd neglected to focus on those whose sacrifices I am truly grateful for. So, as I attempt to transfer the depth of my appreciation for them into this entry, I am truly filled with emotion.


As you know, I spent ten wonderful years serving my country as a member of the United States Air Force. I am extremely proud of my American heritage and submit that there is no other country on this earth as special and chosen as ours. ALL others are unworthy to even utter our country's name, let alone feebly attempt to compare themselves with our citizens and the love they possess for America. Land of the free. I know it's been said many times....but maybe I just never gave it much thought....Our country was built upon precepts of love, freedom. we retain these rights (that we so often take for granted) by Divine providence and the sacrifices made by the men & women of the US military throughout the ages. I am grateful. I am grateful for the troops who roger up for the mission they know will only yield a safe return to a different home from whence they came. I can only imagine the heavenly reception provided for those who give their lives to protect the rights of our country. I truly believe this land was set aside for God fearing people willing to fight for the right. I don't envy the commander who has to instill courage, strength and unwavering commitment in the parent who will soon be standing on the front line. I will remain a patriot to honor the soldier who sacrifices his own life to save those of his comrades.

I will always stand when our national anthem is played to honor the cogs in the wheel of our finely tuned military machine who are all to often replaced and forgotten.

I know that there are times when wars are waged for the wrong reasons. I also know that there will ALWAYS be men and women in my beloved country ever willing to fight a morally clean fight...to accomplish the mission in a sound manner...To leave the women and children alone when they have nothing to do with the conflict at hand. I have seen the lines blurred during in the heat of battle. I know that it is easy to get caught up in the moment...to feel the temptation, that lies just under the surface, to abuse the power afforded you. Thankfully, we are a pure corps force. With very few exceptions, we will always make the right decision. God bless America. I pray that our enlisted forces at present feel our appreciation for them. I pray they will find strength & focus in the memories of the freedoms they enjoyed during their childhood and master the fears that so easily beset them in the moment. May their actions while enlisted in the service of this blessed country mirror the will of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

I will always remember them...

Joe

1 comment:

Higginson's said...

Joe,

That was beautiful! I love reading your entries. Not that I don't hear it from April, it is still very enjoyable. What a great thing to look back on someday with your children. We love all of you with all our hearts.

Kim