Thursday, June 12, 2008

So Maybe He Does Know a Thing or Two

Alright, so one of the main things I have been focusing on throughout this blog is the fact that April has been working nights. It has been a pretty jagged pill to swallow and we have been tough on each other lately. Throughout all of this, our children wait patiently, for us to get over whatever argument we have decided to selfishly get into. They are truly a blessing in our lives. Sometimes, it is hard to stay focused on that. It is very easy to allow yourself to become impatient with the ones that did nothing wrong in the first place. Case and point. I was on the phone with my father the other day, talking about life in general and just kinda "catching up". As we were conversing, my children were having a grand old time, running through the house, acting the way children should. Well, being that I'd had a long day, and was somewhat irritated in general, I found myself being short tempered with them. I repeatedly snapped at them to be quiet or to go play in the other room (all while my father patiently stood by, waiting to continue the conversation). After about 30 minutes of this, my dad chimed in with a small piece of advice...."Joseph, just hug your children."

It hit me like a ton of bricks. See, my dad wasn't always the most 'patient' individual. There were even times when I may have been extremely critical of his "dadding" skills. Boy, when he said that, it was as if something clicked in me. It was the first time in a long time that I truly heard what he was trying to convey. He continued by reminding me to allow them to truly be their age and enjoy their childhood. I am grateful for my father's council and feel that it was truly inspired. It's weird how every once in a great while, you actually "hear" what someone is trying to get across to you. That mind's eye isn't always open fully for me. Luckily, this time it was.

...What a difference the last few days have been. I find myself becoming emotional while I work at my desk during the day, as I ponder the gravity of my father's statement....Just hug your children. It's as if I literally see my children differently. I have found more patience for their antics and allow them more freedom to be silly. I don't require them to be SO regimented. I was reminded of the importance of fun in my kids lives.

I am truly grateful to have a father who is living his life correctly. He has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years. For the longest time, I was indifferent about his presence in my life...Now, I find myself looking forward to talks with him about whatever. I especially look forward to watching him interact with my children.

Hug your children, no matter their age or disposition. It is truly amazing the changes that take place when you hug them instead of scold them. I pray that I can find an added measure of patience with my family members each day. I am truly grateful for them and owe everything I am...all that I have become today......Its all because of my family's influence on my life. I am eternally indebted to them.


joe

No comments: